Marine & Shipbuilders Local 506 Health & Welfare Plan
The Marine & Shipbuilders Local 506 Health & Welfare Plan was established
in May 1967 to provide group life and health benefits for eligible members and their
covered dependents. It is funded under the terms of collective agreements negotiated
between the Marine and Shipbuilders Union and various employers in the marine industry.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The plan is managed by six Trustees appointed by the Union. The Trustees decide what the benefits of the plan will be and under what terms the benefits will be paid, consistent with applicable legislation and the terms of the collective agreement which apply to the plan. The Trustees are:
- Shawn Sly - Chairman
- Kevin Bohun
- Jason Bresatz
- Shayne Gait
- Felix Yumul
The plan is based on an Hour Bank system. Your employers contribute for each hour
worked under the collective agreement. These hours are accumulated in your Hour
Bank to provide you with coverage when you meet the eligibility requirements.
You are able to maintain your coverage by self-payment during periods of unemployment
if your hour bank drops below the required number of hours to provide monthly coverage.
The plan includes
- Basic Medical and hospital insurance (Provincial government plan - insured and paid
by the Medical Services Plan of B.C.)
- Short Term Disability (STD) benefits for non-occupational disabilities - self-insured
by the Trust, paid by the British Columbia Life and Casualty Company
- Long Term Disability (LTD) benefits - insured and paid by The Great-West Life Assurance
Company (Great West Life)
- Group Life insurance - insured and paid by Great West Life
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance - insured and paid by RBC Life Insurance
- Dental care benefits - self-insured by the Trust, paid by Pacific Blue Cross*
- Extended Health Care (EHC) benefits - self-insured by the Trust, paid by Pacific
- Emergency Medical Travel Assistance (included in EHC)
The Trustees have hired Pacific Blue Cross* to administer the Plan on their behalf.
Every month, participating employers contribute to a trust fund on behalf of their
eligible employees. The Trustees hold and invest the fund, which is used to pay
for benefit coverage and for operating expenses.
The information on this web site is an outline of the benefits provided by the Marine
& Shipbuilders Local 506 Health & Welfare Plan and is not a contract. This
Plan only covers those benefits listed above and included in the Plan Summary and
the Plan Booklet. For further information about the Plan, contact the Plan Office
or Local 506.